Friday, January 25, 2008

this is why i'm hot

"and they lived happily ever after."
or so the saying goes.

seriously, you guys, i'm an awesome story-teller. i've never been good at public speaking and i've never considered myself to be very captivating at parties and/or other occasions of the sort. really, i work with good material... london, homeschooling, my injury, rinjani... it's all gold. and also, i have an uncanny ability to remember tv shows and movies. topics like the office are a great fall-back. but something about teaching has transformed me into a natural and interesting story-teller. my kids love my stories... little red riding hood, cinderella, jack and the beanstalk. okay, so they're not my stories. but i will tell you, many of my kids have heard them a hundred times... they groan when i pull them out... but i remind them that, though they know the story, they've never heard it the way I tell it. for about 20 minutes, it's silent as they listen.

yes, i'm going to be awesome when i'm a mom.

so you should definitely watch this clip to see what i do every day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsEXCS1vSUw

a news program came to the school and took video of me talking to the kids and telling them a story. and it looks pretty sweet online.

FUN FACT: in the shots of me talking to the two boys, jonas and benson, they're relating to me the epic of star wars, complete with characters, as told to them by teacher chris during story time. firstly, how awesome is it that 5 year-olds in taiwan love star wars? and secondly, how awesome is it that they're so enthralled in making sure i know the story too?
i was told to keep them talking, no matter what the subject was, and i asked a few questions, but nothing could keep a dialogue going long. until i asked them to tell me everything they knew about star wars. then they couldn't seem to say enough.

4 comments:

KP said...

Joy! That's so cool! Not that I could understand anything they were saying (besides something about socks in water?) but that's so neat to see where you work and the types of things you do! :)

-Aaron- said...

Great! I liked the pilgrim hats, the potato sack races, and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. I take it the shirts aren't necessarily part of the everyday attire? And brushing teeth!?

"Teacher, teacher, my socks are drinking water!"?!

Mary Beth said...

so rad.
really made me miss your face.
do you get to wear that sweet uniform every day? lucky!

Nicole said...

Hi Joy! I enjoyed seeing you in the video. Nice uniform! The school looks awesome. I really liked that boat on the wall when you were telling the story. It was great to see you!