Sunday, November 29, 2009

i would like to extend to you an invitation to the pie party. you know. the party. with the pies.

people who have known me long enough could probably tell you that one of the things i've always wanted most is to be a mom. no idea why, but the urge is in there and i've never been able to ignore it. unfortunately, i have a penchant for travel, i'm always late, and i can't cook.

however, this weekend, i learned that despite my abysmal skills in the kitchen, the insane side of me will still decide to casually ignore my incompetence and will invite people over for home-made pie. did i know anything about making home-made pie? no. did i panic a tiny bit when i went to the market and all they had left was one tiny can of pumpkin? absolutely. but, these european fools don't have pumpkin pie here, and we all know that november isn't november without it. so i was on a quest. nay, a mission. to serve them one of the best parts of american cuisine.

so you know what i did? i baked a pumpkin pie from a real wedge of pumpkin. NO LIE. then apple pie from real apples. i may be lost when it comes to planning meals, but i am damn resourceful when wielding flour, sugar, and fruit. so if and when i eventually find myself in motherhood, well, at least i'll have this.

btw, my pie party was a success, partially due to my baking, though wine made a sizable contribution, as did my friend lisa. same time, next year.

No comments: